Sunday, 21 December 2008

Some images from 2008

As I hope not an unreasonable word-smith I have always believed the written word to be all powerful though perhaps I may be assuming the arrogance of education.

Anyway these images meant something to me in 2008 and I'll start with Merry Christmas.



I like that image as the Penguins look like they are about to escape the Santa suits.

I'm not a big one for keeping animals in captivity or training them as circus performers but the expression on this Walrus is a classic. I'm sure my hero the late great John Lennon would have approved Goo Goo A Choo!



This is what I consider the scariest picture of 2008 showing a muslim lady suicide bomber. It has a certain irony as she uses the technology of the infidel she so misunderstands. She is blind to the control and manipulation of men that brought her to this stage.



2008 was a year of change for me moving at last to Manchester I had no hesitation in moving as this is the view from my living room window.



Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled transsexuals yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your bigoted towns.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Thank you Manchester.

Apologies to Emma Lazarus.

I'll close this post with one of the most iconic images of all time, the one that inspired me to become an engineer 2009 will be the 150th anniversary of his passing. I think the picture is so cool even now with hands in pocket, dirt on shoes and an expression that says it all in terms of directing others. Genius never dies.



Isambard Kingdom Brunel (1806 - 1859)

No comments: