Friday, 6 June 2008

On the outside looking in…

I’ve just had a mini holiday at Gravesend; yes Gravesend I know that’s not everyone’s idea of a holiday destination. I suppose it’s a scaled up market town with a history of river Thames commerce and a famous death – Pocahontas. Still it was a nice break from Uttoxeter.

I stayed with “L” and yet again learnt a lot more about myself. “L” has a unique ability to get into the deepest recesses of my mind, the bit I keep the rest of the world out of. It can be scary and emotional but each time I emerge stronger and refreshed or is it purged?

So “L” and I shared some laughs and some tears but I wouldn’t have missed the experience for anything. I’m incredibly stressed at the moment and this mini break gave me the strength to fight on in terms of the important stuff but not be afraid to let go the rest.

There were lots of fun times, as well as the serious stuff. The highlights included seeing the new Harrison Ford film, a walk by the Thames and visits to the retail cathedral that is Bluewater.

The South East is now incredibly cosmopolitan but I worry about the social extremes the Caucasian haves in their retail temples whilst the Caucasian have-nots scurry about in their hoodies amongst an ethnically diverse underclass.

In my best dreams the haves and have-nots merge but in my nightmares the evil of capitalism destroys any hope of social cohesion denying a rebellion by the dumbing down of education. Never confuse quantity with quality a lesson our political masters ignore.

So I had a week observing society rather than participating but then that’s a holiday isn’t it regardless of whether it’s Torremolinos or Gravesend…

No comments: