Wednesday, 30 April 2008

Goodbye Stephen and the charlatans you represent…


There is also a clear need to move away from the view, as contained in Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM) IV and International Classification of Diseases 10, that transgender and transsexual identities are the result of pathological mental illness.

In order to reduce the stigma that currently exists another space within diagnostic structures needs to be found, for example within endocrinology or in surgery.

This might seem impossible, when the main Diagnostic Consultative Committees of the American Psychiatric Association (APA, 1994) and the World Health Organisation (WHO, 1994) are still firmly embedded in the idea that to be trans is to suffer from mental disorder, even though they both acknowledge there is no known cure, but that transgender medicine and surgery can alleviate a patient’s distress and anxiety, and often enable them to regain a place in society.

Though trans people have expressed their concerns repeatedly, and are currently lobbying the APA for a revision of the categorisation in the DSM V, there has yet to be seen a body of psychiatrists coming out on their side.


Transgender EuroStudy:
Legal Survey and Focus on the
Transgender Experience of Health Care

Full text at:

http://www.ilga-europe.org/europe/publications/non_periodical

So you see – the momentum builds!

Of course as Stephen Whittle the President of the World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH, formerly known as the Harry Benjamin International Gender Dysphoria Association, was involved in the study analysis you can’t expect Press For Change to come out and say “no more” but the rest of us will. LOL

My motion to the UK Trades Union Conference will probably push things along nicely but I’m confident the days of the charlatan gender psychiatrists in the National Health Service are numbered. I got my confirmation to attend the TUC yesterday.

Talking of numbered days, I had my appeal hearing yesterday and for legal reasons I can’t say much but I will say I enjoyed it. My employer’s response was exactly as I anticipated but they hadn’t expected a detailed chronology from me proving the link between the start and end of the discrimination.

I delivered my letter to my GP today with comprehensive answers to my Primary Care Trust form applying for funding for surgery on the basis I am significantly different to the rest of the population that they offer gender dysphoria services to. Try I’m legally female & I have Ankylosing Spondylitis LOL

Then I realised hang on what happened to Choice & Patient Centric Care? So I’ll see my MP on Friday and ask her to write to head of PCT saying patients should have a choice Charing Cross Gender Identity Clinic or London Gender Clinic and surgery in Charing Cross or Sussex Nuffield as per the choices offered in other PCT. That would get them out of being sued for an illegal policy in terms of breaching the Gender Recognition Act and the Mental Capacity Act. It also guarantees I get surgery LOL

Finally I got a “fitness training” top and a yellow T shirt from Peacocks so I’m slowly replenishing my day to day wardrobe as a huge amount of my clothes are only fit for dusters now.

I mustn’t underestimate the opposition or get over confident but I will prevail…

No comments: